As an IPro, the long hours required of you can sometimes elevate your stress levels and create imbalance. We all live in the real world and we know how difficult it can be to combat stress but here are some simple tips that you can use to minimise the effects of stress on your body:
- Take short breaks: Getting up from your desk to take a quick walk, or doing some breathing exercises between tasks can help you to stay in balance as the day goes on. Sometimes that is all you need to come back to a difficult task refreshed and with new ideas on how to tackle it.
- Exercise when possible: We all know it releases endorphins, which makes you feel happier and reduces stress levels. Enough said.
- Eat well and schedule in more sleep: Eating nutritionally balanced meals can assist greatly in increasing your brain’s capacity to cope with a stressful day. A diet high in sugar, simple carbohydrates and caffeine can cause your body’s energy levels to plummet quickly, leaving you to struggle to get through the day. Cutting down on sugar and incorporating slow energy releasing foods such as complex carbohydrates and more protein will help to sustain energy levels. Getting the right amount of sleep will also help you deal with anything that may arise during the day with a clear, rested mind.
- Switch off from technology: Set a time each night to switch off from technology and stick to it. In this digital age, you could easily spend a majority of your waking hours in front of a screen, from your work computer to your IPad, television and mobile phone at home. Too much screen time can be detrimental to your ability to unwind and relax due to screens stimulating the brain. If you just can’t look away from your work email, try using the night functionality on your mobile that modifies your screen with warmer tones in order to reduce eye strain. Avoid using your mobile phone just before going to bed to ensure you get a more restful break in the evening and a better night’s sleep.
- Meditate: Starting the day with 5-10 minutes of focused breathing can make all the difference in how you react to stressful situations. Allowing yourself to spend a short time in the morning to breathe in and out slowly will calm your nervous system. Once your working day begins, you will notice you are coming from a calmer, more thoughtful and less reactive place.
At Entity Solutions, we like to help our IPros by taking away the extra obligations that can sometimes make life as a contractor stressful. Speak to our IPro Services manager today about how we can make your life that little bit easier. Call us today on (03) 9600 0333 or email us at IProServices@entitysolutions.com.au .